Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago.
Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code, and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader, and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry, and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2021.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems, and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things.
To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies.
Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
Design Assessment Lead
This is a pivotal moment in Andela’s mission to connect brilliance with opportunity. Now more than ever, we are committed to building a global talent network where we connect hundreds of the world’s top companies with thousands of talented engineers to accelerate their careers, provide access to long-term growth opportunities, and help them become leaders in their communities.
To date, we’ve brought tens of thousands of engineers into the global technology ecosystem. Now, we’re looking to expand our talent pool to include designers of all types.
In this role, you’ll become part of a small but mighty Assessment team where you will work cross functionally to research, concept, design and implement a world-class assessment process for design applicants looking to join our talent network.
We believe that, in order to find proven design talent, our assessment process should be developed by a proven designer—that’s you.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
We want you to bring your whole self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the role:
Andela is looking for an experienced design leader and creative problem solver to join our growing Assessment team. As a proven design leader, you are uniquely positioned to help us define, build, and evolve the ways in which we screen and assess design talent.
As the Design Assessment Lead, you will not be designing products or pushing pixels! Instead, you will be responsible for working cross-functionally to create and implement a new, robust screening and assessment process that ensures the advancement of high-quality design applicants into our global talent network.
Success in this role will require the ability to balance our standards for quality while meeting talent demand all while maintaining a positive user experience for our applicants.
As the Design Assessment Lead, you will be responsible for building and executing an effective design screening and assessment process that meets our speed and quality requirements while maintaining a world-class experience for all potential design candidates.
In this role, you will devise a process by which potential design candidates are assessed through a combination of their design skills, their knowledge of and experience with design frameworks, their soft and technical skills, a portfolio deep dive or case study review, and the completion of a rigorous design test used to validate their status as a top tier designer.
Additionally, you will collaborate with our extraordinary product management team, product design team, and engineering teams to build and implement our newly-hatched design assessment process into our existing product experience.
In this role, you will be responsible for finding ways to automate our design assessment from start to finish while maintaining a positively delightful user experience. You will also work closely with our Head of Assessment to define and refine KPIs as a measure of talent quality and team success.
- 5+ years as a hiring manager with proven experience in assessing and hiring across multiple product design disciplines (eg: UX/product designers, UI designers, UX researchers, visual designers, etc).
- A degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Information Design, Graphic Design, Interactive Media and Communications, Management or a related field—preferred, but not required.
- A stunning portfolio that displays a spectrum of innovative design solutions from concept to production and problem-solving skills. Applications without portfolios will not be considered.
- An obsession with user experience, never settling for good enough, and inspiring others on your team to do the same.
- A self-starter who is highly proactive and displays a high degree of ownership. You have the ability to work across multiple projects, drive creative ideation, and bridge the knowledge gaps.
- Strong beliefs that are loosely held. You’re a good listener who collaborates well with different stakeholders. You observe and internalize all inputs and feedback to help you reach optimal decisions.
- Comfortability working with distributed teams across multiple time zones.
- The ability to act as a subject matter liaison and lead conversations with sales teams, talent matchers, product managers, product designers, engineering teams, and business stakeholders.
- A mastery in human-centered design and fluency in contemporary design tools. You have a burning desire to conduct user research with design candidates and talent network members to ensure that our assessment process is centered around the user.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that.
Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices.
Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date: 25 April. 2021