- Company: International Fertilizer Development Center
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Internship
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ghana
IFDC is a multinational and independent non-profit organization with over 46 years of experience in profitable and sustainable crop production approaches by combining innovative research, market system development and strategic partnerships to spread sustainable agricultural solutions for improved soil health, agricultural productivity and food security and livelihoods in developing countries and around the world.
IFDC has over the years built a solid network of agro-input producers, dealers, farmers, farmer-based organizations, off-takers and processers around the globe.
Irrigated systems offer a greater potential for food production because of the control of water that guarantees optimal uptake of nutrients under proper soil fertility management.
Position Statement of Purpose
IFDC is seeking an outgoing and innovative-minded candidate who is motivated to work in a projectized environment and enjoys working to improve the productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers cropping systems in Ghana.
The Irrigation Agronomy Intern, is expected to contribute to the planning and implementation of all measures related to irrigated agriculture development within various IFDC projects.
- Contribute to the inclusion of irrigation project components in concept notes and proposals that require irrigation, mainly small scale irrigation for new business development;
- Assist in preparing work plans and budget in line with project proposals with an irrigation component;
- Advise on suitable irrigation systems for food crops, vegetables, fruit trees and fodder in smallholder farmers’ settings;
- Prepare training modules and materials on improved agronomic practices under irrigation, setup and maintenance of small scale irrigation systems in collaboration with NBD and other IFDC staff;
- Design and assist in implementing irrigation demonstration plots with particular emphasis on drip irrigation systems as innovative agricultural practice;
- Assist in planning the setting up of functional water user groups (associations) in local communities;
- Contribute to the elaboration of environmental and social impact assessments for the individual measures in new proposals;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- A graduate degree in Agronomy, Irrigation Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Crop sciences, Arid land agriculture, Extension and other related disciplines from an accredited institution
- Good communication in English (both writing and speaking) and presentation skills
- Proposal writing skills and a working knowledge of French is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills within the IFDC NBD team
- Basic computer skills including the ability to prepare illustrated PowerPoint presentations for a broad audience
Method of Application
Closing Date : 4 June. 2021