Now is the right time to submit your online application for Japanese MEXT Scholarships 2022-2023 to avail yourself of an opportunity to study completely free in Japanese top-ranked Universities.
The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) has announced its MEXT scholarships program 2022-2023 for international students. The candidates with satisfactory academic records will be able to study in Japan free of cost and will be given monthly living allowances.
The degree programs will be offered in English and Japanese languages, so there is no need to learn the Japanese language in order to get this MEXT scholarship.
This MEXT scholarships 2022 is open for those international students who want to study an undergraduate or graduate (masters/Ph.D.) program in one of the universities of Japan. It will cover all kinds of educational expenses of the recipients including but not limited to tuition, accommodation, and airfare.
In the past few years, the MEXT Japanese scholarship applications used to get submitted before mid-May, but due to COVID-19, the announcement of applications for the year 2022 got delayed.
Students applying for the MEXT scholarships do not need to be fluent in the Japanese language nor are they required to submit proof of their English language proficiency via IELTS or TOEFL.
Potential applicants have to submit their applications through the Japanese embassy in their home country. It will evaluate and shortlist all of the applications.
Which Courses are being offered by MEXT Scholarships?
There are no restrictions on the subject areas or fields of studies. This scholarship covers all of the courses like medical, engineering, business, arts, humanities, and so on.
Duration of the MEXT Scholarships 2022:
This MEXT scholarships is offered for the whole duration of the program. The bachelor’s programs in Japan usually take four to five years to complete. The master’s programs take two to three years and the Ph.D. programs take three to four years to complete.
MEXT Scholarships 2022 Benefits and Coverage:
The Japanese MEXT scholarships benefits are as follows:
- A monthly stipend and a preparatory allowance.
- Examination fee, tuition fee, and entrance fee waiver/reimbursement.
- An economy class ticket for traveling to Japan from the recipient’s home country will be reimbursed as well upon arrival to Japan.
- Residence in the university dormitories.
Eligibility Criteria for MEXT Scholarships:
In order to apply for the MEXT Scholarship, applicants should make sure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria outlined below:
- The candidate should be fluent in the English Language.
- Applicants must be nationals of a country other than Japan and a country that has strong diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Undergraduate students must be at least 17 and at most 25 years old at the time of application. They should also have completed their 12 years of school and should have a high school diploma.
- Master’s and Ph.D. applicants must have completed their 16 and 18 years of education respectively and must be below 35 years of age. Prospective graduates can apply as well.
- The applicants for a teacher training course must be below 35 years of age, should have completed a teacher’s training program in the past, and must possess a teaching experience of at least five years. The teaching experience can be of a primary or secondary school teacher.
- Students applying for studying the Japanese language should age between 18 to 30 years and should be enrolled in a bachelor’s program which has a major in either Japanese language or Japanese culture. The bachelor’s program should be pursued from a country outside of Japan at the time of applying.
MEXT Scholarships Online Application Process:
- Locate the Japanese Embassy or Japanese Consulate in your home country and its website.
- Visit their website and search for MEXT scholarships under their ‘Education’ tab.
- Download the scholarship form, read it carefully, and fill it.
- Submit the documents that the application form specifies.
- Take the written test conducted by your local Japanese Embassy.
- Give the scholarship interview which will also be conducted by the Embassy.
- Wait for the results which will be announced via the scholarship website and email.
Documents Required to apply for the MEXT Japanese Scholarships:
The documents required for the MEXT scholarship application are listed below:
- The Scholarship application form of MEXT scholarships of Japan given below at the end of the article.
- The highest degree in possession, i.e. bachelor’s program applicants will need their high school diplomas, master’s applicants will attach their bachelor’s degree and the Ph.D. applicants will need their master’s degree. All of these documents must either be in English or should get translated into English.
- The degrees must be attested by the higher educational body of the applicant’s home country.
- The transcripts of the highest degree/diploma must also be attached in their attested form. They should also get translated into English if they are not already in English.
- Two recommendation letters from the applicant’s instructors, advisors, or employers. The recommendation letters will verify the applicant’s academic performance, work ethic, and/or research potential.
- Scanned copy of the passport (only if the applicant has a valid passport at the time of applying).
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae for students applying for research-based programs.
- Language proficiency certificate from the applicant’s previous school. If they are not able to get one, they will have to take the language test devised by the MEXT.
- Statement of Purpose outlining the applicant’s reason for taking up a particular course, and their research background.
- Thesis or research publication of the applicants, if any.