Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To contribute to and participate in providing a detailed survey and evaluation service, through the use of scientific survey tools and equipment.
- To retain optimum mining levels of the ore body and maintain the longevity of a continuous ore supply.
In This Role You Will:
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver on prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Ensure that safety standards are adhered to.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
Survey Data Calculation and Aggregation
- Compile obtained data from various sources to generate maps.
- Collect, measure, record and calculate survey work / field data based on readings obtained from instrumentation and channel inputs into designated systems.
- Check spatial data to verify the integrity and accuracy of data for quality assurance / quallity control purposes.
- Plot the survey results emerging out of the spatial data.
- Work in conjunction with Surveyors, Geologists and Mine Engineers to confirm that data is accurately collected, presented and utilised
- Assist Surveyors on the field to conduct and undertake the surveys works for the mine.
- Maximise effective vehicle and product movements by undertaking routine surveys to measure movements to and from the mining pit and product stockpiles.
- Assist in other field work to contribute to other mine requirements.
- Establish, operate and adjust equipment at surveying job sites.
- Insert flaggings around pegs and tapes for blasted material by digging polygon boundaries.
- Control pit and / or bench limits through the picking and staking out of crests and pit boundaries.
- Place controls in the mining area by battering profiles and conducting highwall integrity checks.
- Assist in controlling pit / waste dump limits through the determination of line definitions and examination of problem areas.
- Operate field GPS, total station, hand held GPS, levelling Equipment to determine as-built pickups for volume calculations and defining field points for the mining engineers.
- Inspect, adjust, test and monitor the performance of survey equipment (GPS, total station, hand held GPS), levelling equipment and other related systems.
- Maintain and regularly calibrate surveying instruments and equipment to enable continuous and accurate operation of mining activities.
- Prepare topographic maps, aerial photo mosaics, and other custom land survey products as required.
- Conduct quality assurance checks on surveys and provide recommendations on any technical issues encountered.
- Commit to attending scheduled training and play an active role on ones’ own ongoing professional development.
- Be responsible for operating the light vehicles.
- Ensure to stock the light vehicle with hammers, pegs, flagging tapes, tape measures, aerosol spray and other survey gears for survey task.
Survey Planning and Preparation
- Assist in the planning of field surveys for the mine (i.e. Open Pit).
- Set up reference points as benchmarks.
- Contribute to the preparation of detailed drawings, charts and mine plans.
- Assist in the planning of routine maintenance and attend to any equipment variances that may arise.
- Lay out blast patterns (i.e. drill patterns, after-drill pick-ups and ore control polygons), prior to blasting activities.
- Assemble and disassemble markings, stakes and other signifiers at pre-determined survey locations.
Survey Outcome Reporting
- Compile survey notes and reports and deliver report outcomes to the Surveyor for final review and decision making.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Minimum of Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination.
- Certification of completion in Survey related training.
- Ghanaian driving license.
- Competency training at Ghana Survey skills.
- Sound knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Sound knowledge of the work management process.
- A minimum of 2–3 years’ experience in the mine surveying field within an open pit mining environment.
- Experience in mine development or construction, engineering surveys and exploration surveys.
- Strong technical acumen in survey equipment, systems and software.
- Strong technical trouble shooting / fault finding.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project, mine planning / surveying systems – GIS and ArcGIS.
- Sound data analysis skills.
- Sound report writing skills.
- 3D visualisation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of mine operations and survey functions.
- Ability to perform work in extreme weather and environmental conditions (i.e. steep slopes and rugged terrain).
- Ability to demonstrate comprehension and operation of survey equipment.
- Detail focused.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field is frequently in excess of 85 decibels. Incumbent is regularly exposed to noise, fumes, high temperatures, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, unpaved pathways, pinch-points, extreme vibration when working adjacent to dozers, excavators and drilling rigs, slippery surfaces.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY