What Is Treasury Bills
Treasury bill rates and treasury bills. Treasury bills are a quick-term monetary instrument that is issued by using the government of Ghana. They may be considered some of the most secure investments considering the fact that they’re subsidized by the whole country.
When an investor buys a Treasury bill, they’re lending money to the government. The government makes use of the cash to fund its debt and pay ongoing expenses which includes salaries. Treasury bills are sold in denominations.
Understanding Treasury Bills
The government authorities issue Treasury bills to fund diverse public projects, along with the construction of schools and highways. Whilst an investor purchases a T-bill, the government is efficaciously writing an IOU to the investor. Treasury bills are considered a secure and conservative investment for the reason that the government backs them.
Treasury bills are generally held till the maturity date. However, some holders can also wish to cash out before maturity and comprehend the short-term interest gains by using reselling the investment in the secondary marketplace.
Example of Treasury Bills And Treasury Bill Rates
Treasury bills are offered at a reduction to the par value, that is its real value. As an example, a Treasury bill with a par fee of 10,000 cedis may be offered for 9,500 cedis. The government, thru the Department of Treasury, guarantees to pay the investor the overall face value of the Treasury bill at its exact maturity date.
Upon maturity, the government will pay the investor 10,000 cedis, resulting in earnings of 500 cedis. the amount of earnings earned from the payment is considered the interest earned on the Treasury bill.
Also, the distinction between the face value of the Treasury bill and the amount that an investor pays is called the discount rate. The rate is calculated as a percentage. In this example, the discount rate is 5% of the face value.
You can read more on various banks offering treasury bills in Ghana. Ecobank Tbill4All
The Ecobank TBILL4ALL is a mobile-money-based investment service that allows Ghanaians to purchase and manage Government of Ghana Treasury Bills from their mobile phones. Ecobank Ghana currently offers the service on the MTN mobile money platform.
Ecobank TBill4All is a simple, engaging and interactive self-service that offers a level of convenience that complements your changing lifestyles. With as little as Five Ghana Cedi you too can purchase Government of Ghana 91 and 182 days Treasury bills from your MTN mobile wallet.
Also, check on Calbank.
- Treasury bills are risk-free
- You may roll over both the principal and interest or continue with the investment (roll over the principal) and take your interest
- Treasury Bills can easily be converted into cash.
- No applicable transactions cost
- T-Bills can be used as collateral to access loans from the Bank
- There is no limit to how much one can buy. It depends on how much you are willing and able to buy
- Anyone above 18 years can buy treasury bills. However, you can buy T-Bills for a minor and hold them in trust for him or her. It can also be held in trust for family members, friends or organizations
- A Valid National ID
- Completion and Submission of Treasury Bill Application form
- A minimum of GH¢ 100.00