Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Web Developer position.
The SOS Children’s Villages Canada Scholarship will provide full university scholarships to youth (18-19 years old) currently in their last year of the International Baccalaureate Diploma program offered at the SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College (SOS-HGIC) in Tema, Ghana.
This scholarship program will empower youth to pursue post-secondary education through prominent universities across Africa.
The SOS-HGIC seeks to recruit a web developer to manage the WISE portal.
This portal, made accessible to HGIC students, allows the scholarship administrator to interactively manage information related to scholarship (scholarship applications, scholarship recipients’ profiles and progress, document sharing, financial tracking, etc.).
The web developer will be reporting to the SOS-HGIC principal and work closely with a project manager from SOS Children’s Villages Canada and a small and agile remote WISE Team.
This position is based in Ghana and is a one-year contract, part-time, with the possibility of an extension.
About the SOS-HGIC
In 1990, the President of SOS-KDI Mr. Helmut Kutin established the SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College in Tema, Ghana, as a center for academic excellence.
The Mission of SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College is to provide a school of academic excellence for students from SOS Children’s Villages from all over Africa, together with students from the host country, Ghana, in a spirit of Pan-Africanism and an awareness of the social needs of society.
The SOS-HGIC brings together almost 360 secondary school students from more than 12 African nations.
The school offers both an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (for children aged 11-16) and an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (for children aged 16-19). More information can be found here: https://www.soshgic.edu.gh/
Main Responsibilities include:
- Work with a remote team to design features to be implemented into the WISE Portal
- Design both the front-end user interface and the back-end architecture of new features and improvements
- Perform maintenance on existing features within the platform
- Write maintainable and testable code
Qualification Required & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or a related field; equivalent experience will be considered.
Further consideration will be given to candidates that possess:
- Real-time software development experience.
- Native mobile app development (Android or iOS)
Required Technical Skills
- Ruby on Rails / a MVC framework
- HTML, CSS / SCSS
- Relational Databases – MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Cloud Server Management (AWS, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc.)
- Experience with Git / any VCS
- Ability to design and implement both front end interfaces and backend architectures and APIs
- Experience with using and designing REST APIs
- Knowledge of AWS Lambda, EC2, RDS, Heroku, Elasticsearch, Node.js, Express, or Django will be considered a plus.
- Ability to work and complete tasks in a highly independent environment.
- Able to prioritize your own tasks to complete the most important issues before working on the low hanging fruit.
- Above-average communication and organizational skills.
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity.
- Strong sense of initiative.
- Flexibility, and ability to work in a team as well as independently.
- Willingness to sign HGIC’s Code of Conduct and to pass a background check.
Location: Tesano, Accra
How To Apply For The Job
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae:
Closing Date: 17 September, 2021
This job description outlines only the general scope of activity and the basic tasks and responsibilities associated with this position.
It may be supplemented with a more detailed definition of tasks, responsibilities, and involvement in processes